About the chef:
Benjamin Leblanc-Beaudoin is the Chef of the Iron Kettle Bed and Breakfast located in Comber, Ontario. Recently voted Best Chef of Windsor & Essex County. A former contestant on Food Network’s Chopped Canada, Chef Benjamin is an advocate for Local Food and his B&B is a Certified FeastON culinary destination. To learn more click here.
The Perfect French Omelette!
Omelettes don’t have to be as massive as you may think. With the right ingredients, you can make a gourmet French omelette in 5 minutes. Asparagus are only around for a limited amount of time! Here is the recipe and the steps to creating the perfect omelette.
Producer: Wrightland Farms (Asparagus)
Other Products: Lee and Maria’s Market
Ingredients (per omelette):
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 1 Tablespoon of freshly chopped soft herbs (parsley or chives or basil)
- ½ Cup of grated Ontario Cheddar
- ½ Cup of cooked asparagus
- 1 Pinch of Salt & Pepper
How to cook asparagus:
- Cut asparagus to desired length (typically removing 1-2 inches of the wood-like stem, from the bottom.)
- Bring water to a boil on high heat. Once your reach a rolling boil, add asparagus for 30 seconds.
- Transfer from pot into a strainer.
Making the perfect omelette:
- Whisk the eggs together with a fork, carefully breaking the yolk.
- With a non-stick pan preheated on a medium burner, melt your butter.
- Once the butter has melted, immediately add the eggs, and scramble gently for 10 seconds.
- Let the egg (liquid) cover the bottom of the pan wait until the egg mixture cooks through (approximately 1 minute) and add your pinch of salt and pepper.
- At this point the egg resembles a thin crepe. Lay out your asparagus in the middle of the omelette (a line) and cover with cheese and fresh herbs.
- Once the cheese has started to melt (1 minute), fold both sides of the omelette onto the asparagus
- flip onto a plate using the pan as your spatula